Our trip begins June 12th when we depart from Chicago to Kilimanjaro via London and Nairobi, concluding with a short hop (on I’m sure a very small plane) to Kilimanjaro, approximately a 20 hour plane journey in total.
The first part of the trip is our trek up Mt. Kilimanjaro. We are going with our guide company Roy’s Safari. Here is the day-by-day itinerary:
- June 15) An early start with a drive to Machame gate. Begin trekking through the rain forests on a winding trail, for 5-7 hrs past the first uniport hut to the Machame hut campsite (10,170ft). Overnight.
- June 16) After breakfast, leave the glades of the rain forest and continue on an ascending path, crossing a little valley and walking along a steep rocky ridge covered with heather until the end of the ridge. The route now turns west onto a river gorge at 12,001ft (5-7 hours). Overnight at the Shira hut campsite (12,467ft).
- June 17) From the Shira plateau continue trekking to the east towards the lava tower called “the shark’s tooth”. Shortly after the tower you come to a junction leading to the arrow glacier. Continue to Barranco hut campsite (12,795ft) for overnight.(5-7 hours)
- June 18) Leaving Barranco continue walking on a steep ridge passing the Barranco wall, to the Karanga valley. Overnight.
- June 19) Continue trekking to the Barafu hut campsite (15,091ft) for overnight. (3-4 hours). The two peaks, Mawenzi and Kibo can be seen from this point.
- June 20) An early start for Stella point (18,848ft) on the way to the Summit, “Uhuru peak”. This part of the climb takes about 6 hrs. You have now reached the highest point in Africa (19,341ft)!! From the summit descend to Mweka hut campsite (10,170ft) for overnight. (5 hours)
- June 21) The day is spent descending to the Mweka park gates. (3-4 hours) Where you will be met & transferred to Arusha for overnight at African Tulip.
Following the celebratory cocktails(!) we enjoy a day of rest back at the African Tulip in Arusha, before we set off for our 3 day safari:
- June 23) Depart Arusha for Ngorongoro Crater, afternoon game drive on Crater floor, overnight Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
- June 24) Morning game drive on Crater floor, proceed to Tarangire, overnight Tarangire Sopa Lodge
- June 25) Full day Tarangire, morning and afternoon game drives, overnight Tarangire Sopa Lodge
June 26) After breakfast, game drive in Tarangire. With packed lunch, depart for return to Arusha and transfer to Kilimanjaro International Airport for outbound evening flight.
Arrive home in the afternoon of June 27!